Sunday, January 08, 2006

'Brokeback' Mania





STILL ON BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN







I GOT from my inbox early this morning the above posters replacing the faces of Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger in "Brokeback Mountain" with those of United States President George Bush and his trusted men, and changing the movie title to "Dumbfuck Mountain" and "Kickback Mountain."

Well, the worldwide mania for this Ang Lee film, a story of forbidden love between two men--a rodeo cowboy and a farmhand--set in a Wyoming ranch in the 1960s, is just heating up, topping even "King Kong" in earnings on per screen basis in the US.

Even Oprah Winfrey is now planning a special show on this movie based on a short story by Annie Proulx that was published in The New Yorker more than 35 years ago.

Also, I got the Marlboro poster (vintage 1980) below from http://towleroad.typepad.com/towleroad/, which cleverly put across on it a witty blurb ("I Wish I Knew How to Quit You") taken from a famous line in "Brokeback."

I've written extensively on "Brokeback Mountain" in some previous postings, if in case you care to know more about the movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home